ENCORE: Out Here In Kansas, Documentary
Because we unexpectedly sold out the premiere of "Out Here In Kansas," we're allowing tickets may be purchased in advance by calling (316) 265-4400.
Advance tickets are $5, but they'll be $8 at the door.
As always, food and drinks will be available at Roxy's!
- Tues., Oct. 11
- Doors at 6 p.m.
- The half-hour documentary will be shown at 7:00pm
- Filmmakers Q&A at 7:30 p.m.
Out Here in Kansas is based on a pair of news articles, published 14 years apart by longtime journalist Adam Knapp, who directed the film. It centers around three people:
• Burt Humburg, a fundamentalist Christian who realized he was gay as he was winding up his career as an All-American football player.
• Joe Wright, Burt and Adam's former pastor, who was instrumental in making gay marriage illegal in Kansas.
• Adam Knapp himself, who felt God put him in a unique position to seek answers from the polar opposites and tell their story.
Knapp arranged for Humburg and Wright to have a discussion. It was the first time they'd interacted in nearly 20 years. In the meantime, Knapp unexpectedly became part of the story.
The documentary includes testimonials from several gay Kansans, including filmmaker Steve Balderson, Grammy Award winner Melissa Etheridge and Matthew Vines, author of "God and the Gay Christian."
Out Here In Kansas will appear in the Kansas International Film Festival Nov. 4-10 in Overland Park. For more information, or to see the trailer, visit OutHereInKansas.com.
ABOUT THE DIRECTOR
Adam Knapp has been a journalist his entire adult life and has worked in all mediums of news: print, television, radio and online. He won three national sportswriting awards for the Wichita Eagle and has covered more than 300 Wichita State basketball games. He also created, edited and eventually sold a newspaper in Andover. His first attempt at screenwriting, a dark comedy called "Cinderella Boy," advanced to the worldwide quarterfinals of Final Draft's Big Break contest. "Out Here In Kansas" is the first film he's directed.